Robertson’s Select Cheddar
Hand waxed and aged approximately two years.”
Hand waxed and aged approximately two years. Naturally sharpened with age. Enjoy the sharpness! Melts wonderfully when used for cooking.
Sound the bagpipes! Don your kilts! Here comes the Robertson Cheddar! This cheese lines up first class every time. We start with a lovely two year aged cheddar. It is sharp, slightly nutty, and always notable. Your guests are sure to be talking about this cheese. Serve this on your cheese board with grapes, some light crackers, and a selection of tasty mustards. It also melts wonderfully when used for cooking.
The packaging tells a bit of our Scottish heritage story. The plaid label features the Robertson Red Modern tartan. Robertson is Dave’s mother’s maiden name, and this label is in honor of the Robertson family, particularly known as florists in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia’s Garden District. The combination of reds and blues in the tartan pair beautifully with the unique purple wax coating the cheese, making it an extra special bar of cheese for gifting.
Robertson Cheddar is our number two most popular cheese!
“You cannot believe how much more intense the flavor is in well-produced, small batch cheese. The extra sharp cheddar made me pull in my cheeks with it’s tangy zip.”
- The milk used to produce this September Farm Cheese comes directly from dairy cows you can see grazing in meadows around September Farm’s retail store and processing facility. Milk goes directly from the cows’ morning and evening milking to our cheese vat (there is no middle man).
- We do not separate our milk prior to making cheese. Whole milk is naturally 97% fat free.
- First developed by Louis Pasteur in 1864, pasteurization kills harmful organisms found in many natural foods such as raw fluid milk. Pasteurization is a process in which milk is treated for a specified period of time using heat.
We use non-iodized, semi coarse salt in our cheese. This salt dissolves into our cheese at the optimum rate, and serves four very important purposes:
- Encouraging moisture loss/ Altering texture: Salt will draw whey (moisture) out of the cheese. This dries the cheese’s body and has pronounced effects on its texture and stability.
- Neutralizing the acidity in the cheese.
- Enhancing flavor: Salt not only gives cheese a salty taste, but can also help enhance other flavors present.
- Acting as a natural preservative.
- This is a coagulating agent. Microbial Rennet is used to coagulate or thicken milk during the cheese making process. This is done prior to cutting the curd, and allows the curds and whey to separate.
- There are many different types and variations of cheese culture. These cultures are referred to as Lactic Bacteria. The lactose fermenting bacteria, when added to milk, digests the lactose sugars to produce lactic acid causing the formation of curds.
It’s All In The Packaging: Hand Waxed Cheddar
Cheddar cheese is aged from three months to three years with longer aging time producing sharper cheeses. All of our cheddar cheese is packed by hand, taking forty pound blocks out of aging and cutting them into eight ounce bars. Much time and attention is given to the cheese at this time. We enjoy making homemade cheese balls and spreads with our cheddar cheese that is trimmed. These trimmed “ends” are also available in our retail store at a discounted price. Cheddar cheese then moves into the waxing area where every bar of cheese is coated in clear wax and then two coats of a colored wax. Each colored wax identifies a different type of cheddar cheese. The wax dries very quickly, the bars are labeled, and ready to go for sale. Our Robertson’s Select Cheddar is waxed in a purple wax.
- Color: Ivory or orange with the addition of annatto, a flavorless food coloring from the fruit and seeds of the Bixa Orlleana tree from Mexico and Central America
- Texture: Dense and smooth, more elastic when young, becoming more crumbly with extended aging.
- Flavor: Mild when young, becoming sharper with age.
- Typical Composition: 39% maximum moisture, 50% minimum milk fat solids.
- Performance Characteristics and Applications: Melts well, aged cheese ideal for cream soups and sauces. Slices and shreds well for use on sandwiches or as a topper for hot or cold appetizers and entrées. Popular in pizza blends.
We guarantee all products to arrive in satisfactory condition to the address given if delivery can be made when first attempted. Delivery services will not forward our packages and many of our gifts can’t stand reshipping. We cannot assume responsibility for perishable products if we are given an incorrect address.
Orders are shipped Monday through Friday. Consideration is given when shipping to warmer climates to ensure fastest shipping methods. We ship our products UPS or USPS.
Orders are processed and shipped Monday through Friday. When shipping to warmer climates, we avoid shipping over the weekend.
Time Most orders arrive between 3-6 business days, depending on processing time and destination. If you would like your order to arrive on a specific time frame, please make note of this in the comment section of your order.