Aged Swiss Piece
A fresh, quality cheese that is full of flavor, this Aged Swiss cheese provides a sweet, nutty flavor with a creamy texture that is made with a traditional Amish recipe. A local favorite in Lancaster County, this cheese’s quality is sure to stand out against the national brands and win over your taste buds! Regardless of whether you’re filling out a charcuterie board or topping an award-winning sandwich, this cheese’s unique, fresh taste and creamy texture is sure to please.
The most distinctive feature of swiss and baby swiss cheeses are likely the holes or “eyes” in these cheeses. This is caused by a specific proprionic culture added to the cheese that gives off carbon dioxide. Although today swiss cheese comes in many different shapes and sizes, traditionally swiss was made in 200 pound wheels. This was the maximum size wheel one man could handle in the aging room. During the Middle Ages, cheese was taxed by the piece, so a large wheel was also a clever way to reduce taxes.
Closely related, baby swiss differs from traditional swiss in a few ways. Baby swiss is traditionally made with whole milk, while swiss cheese is made with part-skim milk. Part skim milk is responsible for creating the firmer consistency in swiss cheese.
- Store at refrigerated temperatures between 34 to 38°F for up to one year. Proper sanitation when handling these cheeses will greatly increase their shelf life and quality. Freezing is not recommended.
- Color: Ivory.
- Texture: Firm and elastic with large, dime-sized “eyes.” Traditionally made wheels of swiss have a very dense rind.
- Flavor: Mellow, buttery and nutty.
- Typical Composition: 41% maximum moisture, 43% minimum milkfat solids.
- Great for slicing or shredding. Finely shredded or thinly sliced, it melts beautifully, and firms up after cooling.
- Swiss cheese is commonly found in fondues, on top of soups, ingredients in baked goods, soups, sauces, quiches, gratins, gourmet pizza applications and more. Swiss provides good flavor and melts wonderfully when baked into dishes.
- Easy to slice. European-style, gourmet appeal. Range of appealing flavors, from mild baby swiss to nutty swiss. These cheeses melt well and can be used in frozen/microwaveable applications. Add both flavor and texture to any hot entrée or side dish.
- Use in your spinach and mushroom omelet
- Use to bake a quiche lorraine for your brunch special.
- Great for creating artisan sandwiches, like a grilled Swiss cheese and apple sandwich
- Melt to provide an authentic Swiss fondue for the entire table to share.
- Versatile in its application, its semi-hard consistency can be cut into cubes, grated, or sliced thin for sandwiches, and used as a topping, a garnish, or a stand alone snack.
We guarantee all products to arrive in satisfactory condition to the address given if delivery can be made when first attempted. Delivery services will not forward our packages and many of our gifts can’t stand reshipping. We cannot assume responsibility for perishable products if we are given an incorrect address.
Orders are shipped Monday through Friday. Consideration is given when shipping to warmer climates to ensure fastest shipping methods. We ship our products UPS or USPS.
Orders are processed and shipped Monday through Friday. When shipping to warmer climates, we avoid shipping over the weekend.
Time Most orders arrive between 3-6 business days, depending on processing time and destination. If you would like your order to arrive on a specific time frame, please make note of this in the comment section of your order.